Monday, April 11, 2011

I-Rice now in Aklan

By: Venus Villanueva

KALIBO – The current version of Iron Fortified Rice – called I-Rice, was launched recently by the National Food Authority (NFA) at the Aguinaldo T. Repiedad Integrated School (ATRIS) IN Linabuan Sur, Banga, Aklan.

I-Rice is a mixture of white milled rice and I-Mix or iron rice premix processed through fortification, being promoted by the government to help solve the problem of malnutiriton among the Filipino population, young or old.

Fortification, according to the NFA, is the addition of micronutrient deficient in the diet, to a food which is widely consumed by specific at-risks groups such as school children, pregnant women and lactating mothers.

In the case of rice, it is being fortified with iron to replace what was lost during the milling process, in compliance with the Philippine Food Fortification Act of 2000 or RA 8976.

Besides rice, the Act also calls for the fortification of other food staples like flour, cooking oil and refined sugar.

In the launching, the entire community of Linabuan Sur – from school officials, teachers, pupils, parents and barangay officials pledged to support the rice fortification program led by the NFA.

Linabuan Sur Punong Barangay Enriquez S. Belarmino said the I-Rice will be a big help in sustaining the good health of the people especially in Banga.

“The barangay council of Linabuan Sur is here to fully support this program of the government,” Belarmino said.

On the other hand, Banga vice mayor Pierre Teodosio, who represented Mayor Antonio Maming, stressed the importance of a balance nutrition, physical activity and healthy lifestyle which gives the people a chance to avoid chronic health conditions. He also pushed for the consumption of I-Rice by the public in order to address the problem on malnutrition of at-risks groups.

Other speakers who advocated on the importance of consuming fortified foods such as I-rice were May Jean Arcenio, Division Nutrition Coordinator, DepEd-Aklan; Hon. Jean O. Rodriguez, SP Member, Health Sector Committee Chair, and Criscini Roxas, Nutrition Dietician, Provincial Health Office (PHO).

For his part, NFA-Aklan Provincial Manager Engr. Marianito Bejemino called on the public to consume and patronize the I-Rice, which is nutritious and affordable at the same time and in the process, create a healthy population.

I-Rice is sold at P27.00 per kilo and available at NFA’s accredited outlets throughout the province in markets and Bigasan Sa Barangay Outlets (BBO). (PIA)/TE

No comments:

Post a Comment