Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Powerful Strategies for Staying Safe/ Planning and Setting Boundaries

Saying What You Want


Establishing clear boundaries shows offenders that they have crossed a line and that you expect them to stop. It also means that no one can use the excuse “I thought you did not mind”. Department of Justice statistics show that more than half of all assaults could be stopped by simply shouting, “No!” Attackers do not want to draw attention to themselves. A loud, confident “No” can stop them in their tracks.


•Tell the person harassing you, “I want you to leave me alone,” or “Stop that.”


•To defuse tension, say, “I do not want to fight.”


•Shout, “No!” if someone threatens you in any way., such as by approaching you in a way you find frightening, touching you, grabbing you, or hitting you.


•Name the behaviour: “This is rape. I want you to stop.”


Advice: Use the ‘broken record’ technique, like “leave me alone,” or do not come any closer”.


Keep repeating it to the person harassing you until he gives up./TE

No comments:

Post a Comment