By: Clouds S. Lunn
Q: What motivated you to accept the position as President of Aklan Press Club Incorporated (APCI)?
A: I believed that when you are called to serve, you are meant to serve. I did not hesitate, nor did I say yes or no. I had terms and conditions when one day, someone from the board approached me. I said, “No Smoking” during Kapihan and APCI meeting.” They all laughed and left the hall. Joking aside, to be fair, we opened the table for nomination and there was nobody who was willing to take up the challenge. When the group unanimously voted for me, I said,” Yes.” What motivated me? The challenge of bringing back the integrity of Aklan Press Club, Inc. to where it was before.
Q: How are you going to make it better?
A: By making what matters really matter. Our focus should be on the Vision and Mission of the organization. Our Vision - To be the catalyst of change in the execution of our profession. Our Mission – To become productive and trusted members of the 4TH estate by establishing integrity, quality,and balanced reporting to the general public; specifically and ideally. To improve the quality life of the APCI members and its immediate family, we are working to provide them with a Welfare and Privileges program.
To raise the level of integrity of the APCI members we are going to pursue the dreams of the APCI pillars – The Aklan Press Club Inc. Building; and
To make ourselves productive – is to lead the Provincial Journalism Seminar for our young and promising journalists in the province of Aklan.
….and many more.
….and many more.
Q: How do you find the courage to lead an almost “All Men” club?
A: Because women have better memories. Women always worry about the things that men forget; men always worry about the things women remember. Most of the time, men get irritated when women keep reminding them of their assigned task. But, seriously, we have women members, too. I find courage in the Lord, who first and foremost leads us to something worthwhile to lead. But of course, seeing its worth, that remains to be seen.Not until I see results from the members, will I see my reward.
Q: What have you learnd so far from your other leadership experiences?(You are also the 1st woman (past) president of Rotary Club of Kalibo,a Rotary District officer with a phenomenal position and the perpetual Area Governor of Toastmasters International Division D in Panay Island, and many more NGO’s…)
A:With Rotary, I learned to remain humble. I fell in love with the community and the people around me and life couldn’t be better without Rotary. With Toastmasters, I learned to communicate well and with conviction, compassion, and care. All of these prestigious international organizations taught me to become a master communicator and leader. It is worth all my investments of time, talent and a little treasure. These learning opportunities I hope to share with Aklan Press Club, Inc. and I pray that God will continue to use me as his instrument of peace, love and unity, in this organization.
Q: How do you deal with difficult relationships?
A: During our meeting, we suggested that the key words are : flexibility and adpatability Fear-based relationships are unhealthy. Therefore, we need to accept each other’s different personalities, characters and attitudes so that we can understand each other. We need to learn from each other and not back fight. We need to adopt certain guidelines such that we will not allow a “crab-mentality” attitude and we need to always do the best we can for the common good and not for any other personal interest - for the success of the organization is determined by one’s attitude and skill in dealing with others.
Q: Do you have a desire to run for a public office?
A:”No.” It is not in my blood either. One of my principles in life is that you can make a difference without being in politics and without chasing any promotions and rewards with any government positions. They said you become more powerful when you have a political party, but for those who have not realized it, your good intentions can become distorted once you are up there. You never suspect that it can simply be a trap which ultimately leads to corruption and to a betrayal of the principles that you hold so dear. So, am better off without that power.
Q: What for you is a good leader?
A: A good leader must serve and not to expect to be serve. As the saying goes, “Being a leader is based on what you do today and also on what you will do tomorrow, and not what is printed on your business card.” With leadership comes a great deal of power and authority – and with the APCI officers and members, this we will use to strive to serve others.
Q: How will you make a difference with APCI?
A: By helping members to make a difference, because the ultimate responsibility of a leadership position is to help the organization./TE
No comments:
Post a Comment