Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Man of Integrity and Compassion





by: Chita Heap


A few years back I kept hearing a name being mentioned so frequently that I became quite curious to find out who this person was. I told myself that one day I would meet this enigmatic personality. A few years have since gone by, and I had almost forgotten about this man. Then on the evening of the 27th of April, I happened to be in ABL to witness a cultural presentation where I had the good fortune to encounter this same individual.


As I was speaking to a friend, I saw a man in a bright purple shirt enter the hall. Without knowing who he was, I excused myself to my friends and told her that I was just going to take a photograph of the man in purple. Some women saw me pointing my camera at the man and they started jostling to be included in the picture with him. I commented that some women react like this when they see a camera, but my friend told me that it was because I was taking a photograph of a certain Mr.Trillanes. Something clicked in my brain. Was this the enigma whom I had been hoping to meet? Fate was not on my side that evening, because I became the personal photographer to the people I know, as a consequence of which I did not get the chance to speak to Mr. Trillanes.


The very next day whilst paying a visit to Mayor Lachica, he mentioned that he was waiting for a Senator Trillanes. I asked Mayor Lachica if there was a possibility for me to interview this man in his office and he replied,”By all means, provided that he wants to be interviewed.” This time fate was on my side because as I shook his hand I asked him if I can have a five minute interview with him, and he said “Yes.”
The interview ensued is as follows:

One to One with Senator Antonio Trillanes IV


Q: Sir, I understand that you spent time in detention- what were the circumstances leading up to this?


A: Back in 2003, the state sponsored terrorism and corruption of the Arroyo administration. People protested and they were persecuted and many were put to death.


Q: How did you feel about your treatment whilst in detention and about the people who put you there?


A: I have to admit it was a very difficult time for me, my family and my companions. But we took everything in our stride and I would like to believe that my experience in detention strengthened my spirit and I would like to believe that I have become a better man because of it.


How did I feel about the people who put me there?


Nothing really. I am not a vindictive person but of course I am not about to forget nor will I forget all those things that they have done to this country and to our people, but I am not going to waste my energy, and my time in trying to be vindictive, so my focus now is how to improve the lives of other people.


Q: What criticisms do you have about the government of Arroyo?
A: Actually, she was the worst President, and the most corrupt president this country ever had.


Q: What improvements/changes would you like to see made to the current political system?


A: Primarily, it is the orientation of the people in the government. You need to have a government which is always on the lookout for the welfare of our people. That is the essence of any government. It should exist to protect and serve its people, and not the other way around.


Q: What changes would you like to see in the Philippine society?


A: Good governance, that is it.


Q: What is it that is holding us back as a nation?


A: Politically: The only thing I can think of now is a corrupt set of leaders. If we have leaders who are good and mean what they promised, and who have good vision for this country, then everything will be alright. Economically: I have a vision of a country that is peaceful, prosperous, and progressive. Socially: A government that is actually representative of the will of the people, a government that protects the rights of the people.


Q: Do you have a personal vision that you would like to fulfill?


A: Basically the same thing. When I leave this place, I would like to turn over a country that is much better than the way I found it, because ultimately the future generation would benefit from what we can do right now.


Q: Last question; why are you in Kalibo.
A: First of all I am very glad that I was afforded this opportunity to go around the Province of Aklan. I am using this opportunity to say thank you to the Aklanons for their support. Back in the 2007 election, even though I had not been to this town before, Aklanons truly supported me, so here I am to express my gratitude and assure the people of this province that I will reciprocate their support by doing genuine public service and support also in terms of development, projects, and legislation for the public./TE

No comments:

Post a Comment