Monday, May 23, 2011

THE GOOD LIFE

by: Megs S. Lunn

Taking Pride


The speech was delivered by Rico Hizon during Toastmaster’s International District 75 Annual Conference.


“Every single day for the past 10 years on BBC World News, over 350 million people from all over the world wake up to the sound of my voice.


What I say can make or break their business. How I say it, however, will affect how they will react - whether to stay calm or panic.”


DELIVERING THE NEWS


Delivery is the key.
Apart from having complete, accurate and relevant information, the news must be read clearly to ensure that it is easily understood.
And for that, I am grateful for my education from the Philippines.
Tubong Maynila po ako! I was born, raised and educated here in Manila. Hindi po ako nag-aral sa Amerika o sa UK.


Hindi po ako nag aral sa Cambridge o Harvard.
I learned to speak well and clearly thanks to the patience of my parents, siblings and my teachers at La Salle Green Hills and De La Salle University.
My looks and my diction often leave people wondering about my nationality.
On many occasions, I have been asked if I am a western-educated Chinese, Singaporean, Malaysian or even Indonesian.
They wonder because of my eyes, skin color, and the way I speak English.
I guess you can say it is Pinoy super power.
We have the gift of languages. But what sets us apart is how, with any language we use, we are able to speak it clearly.


PAN-ASIAN DICTION


The Filipino diction is - clear, simple, neutral, easy to understand.


The Filipino enunciates clearly, pronounces every syllable in a pleasant — even — and non-threatening tone modulated for every ear to capture its essence....


And when we speak English, for instance, it is neither American nor British English.

It is a Pan-Asian diction. It does not pretend to sound western but both Asians and non-Asians can easily comprehend what is being said.


There are a variety of accents speaking the English language and there is no need for the Filipino to imitate... the American, British or whatever accent just to say its proper English.


We have our very own, and that is what makes us a cut above the rest.
And that’s why I am where I am. It is because of the Filipino English diction.


People often mistake the American accent for good diction. And yet, there is no real American accent because there is the Southern drawl, the Texas twang, and a host of so many others....
It is too, difficult to keep track....
But that is beside the point.


Someone pointed out that we are Filipinos. We do not have to speak good English.

But don’t you think it is amazing that we do, despite the fact that we are not? (Think about it)/more on next week/TE

No comments:

Post a Comment