Born on November 18th, the seventeen year old brown eyed coed of Garcia College will be one of the competitors for the coveted title of Mutya ng Ati-Atihan, Kalibo. The final selection and crowning of the winner will be held on January 5th at the ABL complex, Capitol site. Standing bare foot, this slim young woman stands 5’6" in height. Originally from Barangay Caano, she is the village Chairman of the Sangguniang Kabataan . During a visit to the office of KASAFI , the organization in charge of the contest, I happened to glance at some of the photographs on display, and her face caught my attention.
I decided that I would try to track her down and fortunately for me, I found that she lived in the next village to me. Her name is Maryvhic Baltazar Mandal, and her ambition in life is to become a successful certified public accountant or CPA. Her parents are Heidi and Vic Mandal .
She enjoys dancing, reading, and as a more energetic hobby she practices tae kwon do. As I spoke to Maryvhic, I could see a lot of potential. She is soft spoken and has a singsong voice which is a pleasure to hear.
Maryvhic told me that when she ran for SK Chairman her parents supported her one hundred percent . Upon expressing her desire to join the beauty contest, they were initially not forthcoming with their permission, but after many days of promising her parents that she would not miss out on her schooling.
By speaking to her, I know that she is someone who has a mind of her own. Her shyness can sometimes be misleading, but I can assure our readers that she is a determined young woman who knows what she wants in life.
She told me that she had seen me at some of the numerous meetings held at the municipal hall in Kalibo, and that she was very much encouraged with what Kool Earth is trying to achieve towards improving our environment. Being chairman of the Sangguniang Kabataan in her area she believes that they can help Kool Earth to make a difference. She herself would like to live in a clean and green environment, and it is therefore her priority to encourage everyone to support the Municipal Ordinance No 2009 – 004..
Asked which would she prefer to have in life, beauty, fame or money, she replied, “I would prefer money for practical reasons, because with money I can make myself pretty by using cosmetics which at present I do not need. With money and beauty I can also become famous if I use the money wisely.
She believes that anyone joining a beauty contest must be intelligent, talented, and must be good in projecting herself if she is going to be an ambassadress of Tourism, not just in Aklan but throughout the Philippines. She also believes that external beauty must compliment the beauty within.
Her final words to her co-competitors were, “ Enjoy the adventure being afforded us by KASAFI . Win or lose we are all winners because we have all found the courage to put ourselves
Forward to enter this challenge. Of course I would like to win so that I can do what the title will enable me to do both for our tourism and for the environment, but I leave the decision to the judges on the night./TE
No comments:
Post a Comment