Friday, September 9, 2011

Pride of Malkinao

A brief interaction with the young and energetic mayor of Malinao, Mayor Ariel Igoy: When asked how he felt that one of his people brought back prestige to Malinao, his reply was; “I feel so proud being a Malinaonon. I cannot help but be happy for the honour he brought back to us. With his humble origin he worked hard to succeed and shared us his fame. He is an inspiration to our young people here in Malinao.

He was one of the first players to compete at the governor’s Cup an
d came out a winner. He became Private First Class in the Philippine Army because of his connection with PDBF. He may not yet be a national hero but he is a big man in the eyes of our people. I know that he did not expect the welcome we gave him but I see that he was thrilled to be back in our midst.

Malinao, the town of the Champions. From the boxing medallist in 2001 to 2002, Anthony Igusquiza to the Provincial Football champion in 2010 to 2011 (these are the athletes from Kinalangay Viejo Integrated School) to the young swimmers that I watched training in the river and now ‘Oting’. These are the only athletes that I know that came from Malinao but I believe that the Malinaonons are people made to be Champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment