Living On the Front Line
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify where I stand as a journalist and to say something about the work that I do. The motivation for my work stems primarily from my desire to serve my country and the people of Aklan. Towards this end I am committed to fight against social injustice, to expose corruption and corrupt practice in all of its forms, and to assist in bringing about social changes which are now long overdue.
My guide is my conscience as is my heart, and like a moth to a flame I am compelled to remain true to this cause. This much I owe to myself and to those that I endeavor to serve.
Nor do I stand alone in this, for there are other journalists too who are similarly motivated by the same passion, others too in whom an inner fire burns. As journalists we are a rare breed, and there are times when we must endure intimidation or even put ourselves in harms way in order to uncover the truth.
For too long now the soil of our beloved country has been stained by the blood of the innocent. For too long our progress as a nation has been impeded by those who seek only to pursue their own vested self interest, at any cost, and by any means.
It is men and women such as these who have caused our country to be branded the most corrupt country in South East Asia. It is men and women such as these who have brought shame upon our country and shame upon us all. It is the good and righteous amongst us who have been given no option other than to endure this shame. This is the cross that we as Filipinos have been obliged to carry.
It is we as journalists who possess both the ability and also the courage to speak out in order to address our people’s concerns. It is we as journalists who serve as the conscience of our society, and as such we have a valuable part to play.
The winds of change are blowing across our land, and the days are numbered for all those who seek to profit at the expense of others, for those who seek to divert public funds in order to satisfy their own insatiable greed, and for all those who endeavor to maintain their positions through bribery, intimidation, and threats.
I am not alone in expressing these sentiments. The numerous text messages that I have received in response to my articles are testimony to the fact that many feel the same way, and that changes to our social structure are long overdue. I am also reassured to know that there are many in our midst who not only have good hearts, but who also thirst for a fairer and more just society.
To all those who feel this way I will say this, that the destiny of our country is in your hands and will ultimately be determined by you. I know that the night has been long, but the darkness of night cannot and will not endure forever. Although evil possesses a power of its own, it is no match for the power of good.
There was once a time when Light and Darkness met. Darkness mocked Light by claiming to be more powerful by far. Darkness challenged Light to a duel in order to decide once and for all who was the most powerful. A time was duly arranged for them to meet, but when the appointed time came, Light showed up whilst Darkness was nowhere to be seen.
What is darkness but the absence of light? What is evil other than ignorance of the Truth, and of those values which so many of us cherish and hold dear? What is weakness other than the absence of strength? What is fear other than the absence of courage?
It will take courage to change our society, and it will require from us a sincere desire to embrace such a change. No political system or change of government can bring about such radical change, because for change to be real it must come from within society itself. As such this change must begin with you and me.
It is our own perceptions and attitude which must herald in this change. Our hearts must be our reference and the Truth our banner. The courage required to bring about such a change resides within us all, but we need to dig deep to discover it.
I for one believe in the power of good. I believe too that there are many Filipinos of high moral value in our midst, many of whom I have had the good fortune to meet and whom I now consider my personal friends.
As individuals we may at times feel helpless and that our efforts are ineffective, but although the problems which confront us may at times seem unsurmountable, together, and through coordinated action, there is little that we cannot achieve.
The time has come to act. The time has come to shrug off our lethargy and awake from our sleep. The time has come for us to stand up and be counted. The time has come for our voices to be heard.
Together we can shape the future. Together we can create a fairer and more just society in which to live. Together we can bring about the much needed changes that our people so desperately crave.
As a journalist I will do all that I can to help herald in this change. As a journalist I will continue to take a stand in the face of adversity. As a journalist I am and shall always remain committed to living on the front line. /TE
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify where I stand as a journalist and to say something about the work that I do. The motivation for my work stems primarily from my desire to serve my country and the people of Aklan. Towards this end I am committed to fight against social injustice, to expose corruption and corrupt practice in all of its forms, and to assist in bringing about social changes which are now long overdue.
My guide is my conscience as is my heart, and like a moth to a flame I am compelled to remain true to this cause. This much I owe to myself and to those that I endeavor to serve.
Nor do I stand alone in this, for there are other journalists too who are similarly motivated by the same passion, others too in whom an inner fire burns. As journalists we are a rare breed, and there are times when we must endure intimidation or even put ourselves in harms way in order to uncover the truth.
For too long now the soil of our beloved country has been stained by the blood of the innocent. For too long our progress as a nation has been impeded by those who seek only to pursue their own vested self interest, at any cost, and by any means.
It is men and women such as these who have caused our country to be branded the most corrupt country in South East Asia. It is men and women such as these who have brought shame upon our country and shame upon us all. It is the good and righteous amongst us who have been given no option other than to endure this shame. This is the cross that we as Filipinos have been obliged to carry.
It is we as journalists who possess both the ability and also the courage to speak out in order to address our people’s concerns. It is we as journalists who serve as the conscience of our society, and as such we have a valuable part to play.
The winds of change are blowing across our land, and the days are numbered for all those who seek to profit at the expense of others, for those who seek to divert public funds in order to satisfy their own insatiable greed, and for all those who endeavor to maintain their positions through bribery, intimidation, and threats.
I am not alone in expressing these sentiments. The numerous text messages that I have received in response to my articles are testimony to the fact that many feel the same way, and that changes to our social structure are long overdue. I am also reassured to know that there are many in our midst who not only have good hearts, but who also thirst for a fairer and more just society.
To all those who feel this way I will say this, that the destiny of our country is in your hands and will ultimately be determined by you. I know that the night has been long, but the darkness of night cannot and will not endure forever. Although evil possesses a power of its own, it is no match for the power of good.
There was once a time when Light and Darkness met. Darkness mocked Light by claiming to be more powerful by far. Darkness challenged Light to a duel in order to decide once and for all who was the most powerful. A time was duly arranged for them to meet, but when the appointed time came, Light showed up whilst Darkness was nowhere to be seen.
What is darkness but the absence of light? What is evil other than ignorance of the Truth, and of those values which so many of us cherish and hold dear? What is weakness other than the absence of strength? What is fear other than the absence of courage?
It will take courage to change our society, and it will require from us a sincere desire to embrace such a change. No political system or change of government can bring about such radical change, because for change to be real it must come from within society itself. As such this change must begin with you and me.
It is our own perceptions and attitude which must herald in this change. Our hearts must be our reference and the Truth our banner. The courage required to bring about such a change resides within us all, but we need to dig deep to discover it.
I for one believe in the power of good. I believe too that there are many Filipinos of high moral value in our midst, many of whom I have had the good fortune to meet and whom I now consider my personal friends.
As individuals we may at times feel helpless and that our efforts are ineffective, but although the problems which confront us may at times seem unsurmountable, together, and through coordinated action, there is little that we cannot achieve.
The time has come to act. The time has come to shrug off our lethargy and awake from our sleep. The time has come for us to stand up and be counted. The time has come for our voices to be heard.
Together we can shape the future. Together we can create a fairer and more just society in which to live. Together we can bring about the much needed changes that our people so desperately crave.
As a journalist I will do all that I can to help herald in this change. As a journalist I will continue to take a stand in the face of adversity. As a journalist I am and shall always remain committed to living on the front line. /TE
No comments:
Post a Comment