Wednesday, December 1, 2010

THE GOOD LIFE

Megs S. Lunn


Come On Time

An educator is someone who train or instruct, intellectually, morally and socially. Like any other profession, being an educator is a noble vocation. In days gone by, we can say being an educator is a noble calling. Today, can we still call it a noble vocation? Those who have chosen to be in this profession , it is a worthwhile and a profession that they can be proud of.Others who have different outlook in life being an educator is the least in their lists.

Let us talk about the discipline that an educator is now imparting to our children. Take the case of “be on time”. Often, they will reprimand pupils who are late for school. When they arrive late for three times surely, they are given disciplinary actions. How about if an educator is late? What do they say? “Sorry, I am late, I was with this and that and so on….” Being on time is showing respect to yourself and others. Respect to others who made the effort to be on time though like you they also have important things to do but they strive to be on time

. I have observed that whenever I have a meeting and an educator is one of the many participants, for sure, they always find reasons to be late. Many times, this never failed to happen. I respect and admire people who are always on time. Others who are often late and sometimes do not even bother to show up, I have nothing for them but contempt. I could never trust them..

We don’t want to defend the so called “Filipino Time”. It’s nonsense. Others consider it a joke, but this is a serious insult to the integrity of an educator, is it not? Those who issue invitations to some events, they put the time one hour ahead to the real time of the event because they said, the guests normally arrives an hour late. It is embarrassing to hear the words “Filipino Time.” No wonder, there is no efficient and effective production at work that is being done because of “Filipino Time”. I am impressed by the culture of Japan when it comes to time and precision. I wish we could emulate them. I am sure officials and educators have observed this, but still they do not learn their lessons. They are after the technology of the country, apparently, little did they know, that technology will not produce efficient output when manpower is not on time. Technology still depends on the hands of the manpower that comes to work on time.

In your environment of work, you can always count on someone who comes late and still find time to fix her hair and makeup before attending to her client. The laws on civil service give disciplinary action on this unethical behavior, however, can you tell me of any government employee who has been accused of such a behavior and was given a disciplinary action? Rarely I guess. In the Philippines, cases like this is often taken for granted. You think being late is a simple case? Remember, this is where your pupils, students and colleagues see the real you. Simple case, yet, it has a huge impact on your values and character as a person. It is still a priceless calling to be an educator. You are to be emulated by your mentee and wherever you are, you will expect to be respected. For what is worth to be an educator? It is still and will always be a noble vocation. We just have to live the way we are expected to be. Come on time, next time you are invited. For whether you are a VIP or a simple spectator if I am your host, watch out, for with or without you, the show must start on time./TE

No comments:

Post a Comment